Detailed and timely knowledge of erosion, transport and deposition of sediments in the sea is crucial to a number of human activities. Amongst these are protection measures against coastal erosion, establishment and conservation of beaches, maintenance of depths in harbours, or control of sediment spreading from dredging operations. All of these activities experience a growing interest and today, modelling of sediment processes is more relevant than ever.
To effectively meet these challenges, our MIKE 21 (2D) and MIKE 3 (3D) software include three sediment modules that enable you to model all aspects of sediment transport. The Sand Transport (ST) module enables you to assess sediment transport rates and initial rates of bed level change for non-cohesive sediment resulting from currents or combined wave-current flows.
However, if you need to model erosion, transport and deposition of cohesive and cohesive/granular sediment mixtures, the Mud Transport (MT) module is the tool you need. This module also includes a dredging module, which allows dynamical simulations of all stages of the dredging process. Additionally, with the Particle Tracking (PT) module, you can describe the transport and fate of dissolved and suspended substances discharged or spilled anywhere within the water column.
Often coastline kinetics and littoral processes can be described adequately using a 1D approach. In such cases, our LITPACK software package is superior and highly efficient.
The sediment modules enable you to model:
- Littoral processes and coastline evolution
- Erosion, transport and deposition of cohesive sediments, such as mud
- Sand transport dynamics
- Dredging processes and monitoring of dredging work
- User-friendly - all features supported by menus, manuals and examples
- Includes a wealth of tools to enhance productivity
- Efficient parallelisation techniques for high performance computing
- Seamless integration for coupled modelling, for example with hydrodynamic and wave modules