OSMART® by E.T.C. goes WEST
A dedicated add-on with models of OSMART® control logic is now available for WEST.
OSMART® is an algorithm developed by E.T.C Sustainable Solutions (Trento, Italy) for the control of intermittent aeration in activated sludge processes, in which the on/off regulation for aeration (for nitrification and denitrification, respectively) is based on measured concentrations of ammonium and nitrate in the bioreactor.
On/off aeration cycles have a maximum duration. During the non-aerated phase, it is possible to activate a pulse aeration mode, in which air is sparged for short periods to ensure optimal mixing of sludge in the bioreactor.
The application of OSMART® allows achieving several economical and environmental benefits in the operation of a wastewater treatment plant, in particular:
- increased process efficiency and flexibility, accommodating influent loading fluctuations
- reduced energy consumption for aeration and, under pulse aeration, for reactor mixing
- reduced sludge production
- reduced chemical usage (e.g., COD for denitrification)
- increased automation of the treatment plant and reduced maintenance requirements for operators
By providing a tested guideline for the OSMART tool’s appropriate incorporation in WEST, DHI endeavours to make sure the OSMART tool runs as smoothly as possible. This means that DHI does not take responsibility for the overall performance nor degradation of any kind when using the OSMART module.