Groundwater remediation and natural attenuation
Managing water quality
Human activity, land use and industry are constantly growing and the impacts of these activities can lead to a degradation of groundwater quality. Developing effective strategies for protecting groundwater from contamination and for evaluating innovative remediation techniques requires a detailed representation of both groundwater resources and sources of contamination. It also requires accurate knowledge about the flow and transport mechanisms involved.
Its flexible meshing strategies and extensive solute-transport simulation capabilities combined with an intuitive graphical user interface make FEFLOW a perfectly suited tool to assess groundwater remediation strategies.
You can use FEFLOW models for:
- Immediate assessment of contamination spreading
- Contamination spreading for a single or multiple chemical species
- Definition of well-head protection zones
- Groundwater flow optimisation
- Capture zone delineation for pump and treat systems
- Reactive transport modelling, including kinetic reactions and equilibrium sorption
- Risk analysis, including best and worst case scenarios (max. contamination spreading vs. maximum efficiency of remediation techniques)
- One tool for all relevant flow and solute transport processes
- Straightforward routines for various particle tracking options
- Flexible editor for the definition of user-defined kinetic reaction systems
- Sophisticated results visualisation